cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to move hosting back to GoDaddy

At GoDaddy I have registered a domain, but it's being hosted on Cloudflare. This means the nameservers on GoDaddy for that domain are pointing to Cloudflare's nameservers.

I want to move move hosting of the domain entirely away from Cloudflare to Godaddy. My question is, what are the broad steps to do a transfer of hosting from a third party back to Godaddy?

I'm asking because I've read advice here that one simply changes the name servers with the domain registered at Godaddy to some "custom nameservers" however that doesn't seem right as the new name servers should be Godaddy's (as I want to host the website here).

On the other hand, Cloudflare offers some kind of transfer service however it seems this is only referring to the situation where the domain is registered at Cloudflare not Godaddy.

Thanks for any advice!

10 REPLIES 10
Super User III
Super User III

Re: How to move hosting back to GoDaddy

@textlog 

There is two different things you are talking about here

1) Hosting

2) DNS

Your DNS and Hosting DO NOT need to be in the same place - if your Hosting (actual files) are at cloudflare and you are moving the files back to GoDaddy that is one piece and done manually

You actually can leave the DNS (Traffic Cops of the Internet) at CloudFlare if you wanted many people use their DNS without having their files live there and they offer a free plan

Now you may say you don't want anything at CloudFlare, in that case you can change your name servers back to the "default" ones vs custom - NOTE: you will need to manually recreate the "zone" - all the entries for the mail records, IP address etc

Cloudflare auto imported this for you when you set up with them, going the other direction is a manual process

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks, and yes I want to move everything for this domain fully back to Godaddy. 

Currently all the DNS records (e.g. A name records, etc) are on Cloudflre, including SSL certificate. But the web page files are actually on Godaddy.

I see that Godaddy is pointing to Cloudflare as Cloudflare's nameservers are declared on Godaddy.

You say I'll need to manually recreate a DNS zone on Godaddy. Question: do you know of any articles that spell out the best sequence and steps to do this? Or would you have any advice on the sequence to do all this to minimize business disruptions?

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

1) Copy the zone file from Cloudfare to a word doc

2) Update the servers at godaddy back to default

3) Wait about 3-5 minutes and refresh the page at GoDaddy

4) Update the zone at GoDaddy

Note: I typically set the TTL to custom / 600 which is 10 minutes

Also as long as you do this quickly you should see almost 0 downtime as the zone files will match

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Great, thanks I'll try this.

The SSL certificate is also on Cloudflare. It looks like I should also arrange this on the Godaddy side before proceeding, although it looks like there's no free option on Godaddy.

Super User III
Super User III

@textlog 

If you are on a cPanel here is how to install let's encrypt

https://www.godaddy.com/help/install-a-lets-encrypt-certificate-on-your-cpanel-hosting-account-28023 

Right of course. I forgot that you can specify SSL in cPanel.

When you say "Update the servers at godaddy back to default" are you only referring to the nameservers? Meaning specifying Godaddy's own nameserves in Godaddy Domain Manager -> DNS Management -> Nameservers? 

Super User III
Super User III

@textlog 

That is correct

Silly question but I cannot find the nameservers that Godaddy uses. Would you know what Godaddy calls their nameservers, so I can make the change.

It seems there are only articles on how to change a nameserver, but none on which Godaddy nameserver to actually use (!)

Super User III
Super User III

@textlog 

When you go to update the servers just change the option from custom to default it will auto assign you to the correct servers

Thanks @PL281   It worked for me.