cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Purchasing domain from hosting company

My father purchased his domain through his IT company back in 2000, and they did the hosting for him, and still do. They charge him a large amount of money to host and renew the domain subscription, so I advised him that if he renewed the domain himself, I could assist in getting it hosted. My question is, what can the current host of the domain do? As they have purchased it themselves, but my father was the actual purchaser of the domain, just using them as he isn't IT competent! Is there regulations that say that my father can request the domain be handed to him? The domain is registered until 2021, and so I need to get the access to the domain management, but want to know what they are allowed to do, and what they aren't, when we request the details from them.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Purchasing domain from hosting company

Hi @Huggalove,

Welcome to the Community!

There are two options to move a domain to your own account to take control of its management. If the party holding the domain in their account is willing to move it to you, they can do so for free. You need only provide them your email address on the account and perform an Account Change

If you are the registrant listed on this domain (and you can check that at www.godaddy.com/whois), you can make a request to have our Domains team recover it for you. This would move it to an account of your own, where you can manage the domain. You can complete the online form for this request here

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Ideally a reputable company would release the domain for you to transfer.

You can check how the domain was registered in the whois database.

https://www.godaddy.com/whois

Who is the Registrar?

Who is listed as Registrant Name/Registrant Organization/Registrant Email (him, them, or someone else)?

Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Huggalove,

Welcome to the Community!

There are two options to move a domain to your own account to take control of its management. If the party holding the domain in their account is willing to move it to you, they can do so for free. You need only provide them your email address on the account and perform an Account Change

If you are the registrant listed on this domain (and you can check that at www.godaddy.com/whois), you can make a request to have our Domains team recover it for you. This would move it to an account of your own, where you can manage the domain. You can complete the online form for this request here

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post