cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Email 365 Hijacked

My email account (office 365) got hijacked and used to send spam some to my address book. Lost service for 2 valuable days. Go daddy has now unblocked it but without any acknowledgement that it was a hack and not my fault. Q. what shall i do to make sure that this does not happen again?

Should Go daddy not 1). investigate to trace where the breach occurred and how and 2).make sure that this does not happen again and pay compensation for the loss?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

Re: Email 365 Hijacked

@Baadmax 

While I don't personally use Office 365, I manage around 125 email accounts for my clients. Over the years, I usually have 1 or 2 accounts per year that get compromised.

There are 2 things to resolve this

1) Reset the password to a stronger password

2) Do a virus / malware scan on your local computer / network

More often than not, it is not that there is a breach on the server but rather a password is compromised and the spammers are actually authenticating into the account which allows them to do the sending.

I hope this helps you in the right direction.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

Re: Email 365 Hijacked

@Baadmax 

While I don't personally use Office 365, I manage around 125 email accounts for my clients. Over the years, I usually have 1 or 2 accounts per year that get compromised.

There are 2 things to resolve this

1) Reset the password to a stronger password

2) Do a virus / malware scan on your local computer / network

More often than not, it is not that there is a breach on the server but rather a password is compromised and the spammers are actually authenticating into the account which allows them to do the sending.

I hope this helps you in the right direction.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post