cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Email forwarding with s/MIME

I have configured my domain to forward emails to a gmail account.    Basically emails are being forwarded, but the Google environment is saying that  the messages have not been sent  securely (i.e. using S/MIME).  Basically, I get an error message against each received message with

secureserver.net did not encrypt this message

How can I configure the email forwarding to use S/MIME protocol? 

I am using a free-email forwarding account, and the DNS records  on the domain have not been changed. (i.e. are at the their values)

Thanks

I  prefer to use a push from Godaddy to gmail, rather than using the pull from gmail to Godaddy to provide the best seamless user experience and avoid transmission delays.

13 REPLIES 13
Employee
Employee

Re: Email forwarding with s/MIME

Hello @DaveWP!

Thank you for posting! A forward address isn't an actual email address. What we do is redirect messages to the address you've set it up to forward to. There's no additional configuration options for this type of address.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

@Heather wrote:

Hello @DaveWP!

Thank you for posting! A forward address isn't an actual email address. What we do is redirect messages to the address you've set it up to forward to. There's no additional configuration options for this type of address.

Hi I have the same problem. I setup the godaddy forwarding today. Whenever I get a forwarded email there is a warning: "secureserver.net did not encrypt this message", but if I direct email the destination email there is no error.

Actually for few hours, all my forwarded emails were bouncing, and it fixed itself. For that issue I had similar experience with other provider and the resolution was: "Apache spam assassin were detecting messages as spam and now we have disabled it for your domain.

My point, it's not pure forwarding, the GoDaddy servers receive the email and forward them and during this process encryption is failing. I am sure there is a setting somewhere. Can a technical person please look?

I'm having the same problem. Emails forwarding from my domain name email account through godaddy are showing up as not secure in gmail. Basically everything is getting sent unencrypted to gmail. 

The solution provided by Heather is not a solution at all.

Also I'm not even looking for S/MIME encryption. I don't think GoDaddy can help with that. What we need is just the TLS encyrption as explained here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6330403?hl=en

New

This answer is ambiguous, does this mean it is or isn't secure?

It would seem that it is NOT secure. 

Has anyone actually received a solution to this? I am having the same issue. 

This isn't an answer. It's 2018. Give us security on the option to forward our mail to another address, or don't provide the option. Anyone can just sniff that mail if they so choose. That's incredibly irresponsible, GoDaddy.

New

Yes. I also demand a solution. Been with GoDaddy for ages and still cannot provide secure email. This is not acceptable.

Solution

I figured out a solution.  First setup a regular email that you can use with GoDaddy workspace.  Send an email from your gmail account to it.  Then reply from the workspace. 

That seems to approve the domain on Google's end.  Then delete your email account and setup a forwarding account.

Also, put some duct tape on it. 🙂

New

So you mean like get a one month GoDaddy email subscription and do what you said?

New

rshelton2's solution did not resolve this for me. GMail still shows "secureserver.net did not encrypt this message" on incoming forwarded e-mails implying GoDaddy is still not encrypting. I have created full e-mail account in GoDaddy workspace and sent mail to it from the gmail.com account, and in an alias form as well, and replied from GoDaddy. This did not trigger anything on GMail or GoDaddy to get encryption working.

Anybody else get this working?

New

I know in my heart that effectively there is no solution with GoDaddy. Their 90s-era e-mailer still doesn't support TLS encryption. So my solution was to give up on GoDaddy and switch my domain over to Google Domains who's free e-mail forwarder does support TLS encryption. Documentation on this solution is here. A bonus for me is Google's "private whois" thing is free as well, so I am also saving money.

Like every custom-domain solution using GMail aliasing, I had to continue using the free service SMTP2GO to remove the 'via gmail.com' tag on my outgoing e-mails. I could have used GSuite to also get rid of it, but didn't want to use that.