cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Godaddy Office365 Reset this week?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Godaddy Office365 Reset this week?

Sorry folks , my first stab at posting here.

Everyday this week at random times each employee's Office365 account (10 employees) gets kicked out of their office365 email, but only in Microsoft Outlook (they have Office 365 premium from Godaddy), we have to either repair, uninstall/reinstall, or recreate new profiles, all the while their phones and tablets work fine. When we recreate profiles the Outlook login seems a bit different, as if a different set of Godaddy authentication mechanisms have been set in place. Another symptom is they close Outlook and restart it and they show as "disconnected", and obviously they cannot send or receive email. Once we do the repair everything's fine they don't get kicked out again, so it reminds me that perhaps something was updated that's causing a forced logout and reauthentication required after closing outlook. The customer does not employ 2fa. I ran a trial of an office 365 auditing product and it detects no invalid password attempts, the maker of this software concludes (from the logs I sent) stated it may be an issue with some script at Godaddy not Microsoft to be the root cause. The customer is mainly Windows 10 Pro shop, Office365 apps mostly 32 bit and one user with Windows 8.1 pro.

I see in a June 2016 article on Krebsonsecurity.com how Microsoft is making o365 cloud providers (admins) require them to use 2fa authentication, could what we be seeing is some rework side affects at Godaddy of this movement taking place?

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/06/microsoft-to-require-multi-factor-authentication-for-cloud-solut...

Super User I
Super User I

It is possible that GoDaddy/Microsoft is forcing you to use Modern Authentication. Which is a more secure way for protecting your O365 environment. Note, if you look in the Windows Credential Manager on the local box, you should be able to see what stored credentials office has. If you have Microsoft ADAL credential you are using modern authentication. If you see Microsoft SSPI, then you are using basic authentication. Note, Microsoft doesn't like seeing mix credentials as it can mix some things up. Sometimes a simple clearing of credentials can solve the issue.

You can always use https://diagnostics.outlook.com/#/ to troubleshoot your issue. This is a free Microsoft tool.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

*Please ignore my incorrect spelling and grammar, via my phone*
~ Get Outlook for Android

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Thank you Drew, I noticed on one PC I saw both Adal and sspi, which I cleared both on the customer's front desk PC, as when uninstalled and reinstalled Office365 apps it did not resolve the situation, but after I cleared all the credential manager settings it started working. I'm going to check these credentials on the other PC's through my overnight remote session, I appreciate your feedback, and I hope this resolves this. The customer has been a GoDaddy o365 premium subscriber for probably two years so things as they were - were as of two years ago. I'm working with Admin Droid, I'll have to dig deeper to see if their software can detect adal vs sspi login failures. I'll report back my findings.

Super User I
Super User I

@Eric4130,

Yeah, I've had my fair share of ModernAuthentication causing some issues, cause Microsoft enable it by default on one of my O365 environments for a client. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***