cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Godaddy mail relay has been blacklisted by several email blacklist

We are using cpanel hosting server for the email and we noticed some emails were not received by some recipients. We checked that the mail relay a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net used by our Godaddy cpanel hosting has been blacklisted and so the email was rejected by the recipient mail server.

I contacted Godaddy support but they said the mail server is working normally. They asked me to give them the recipient email server IP and contact for them to follow up. In fact, we even don't know who cannot receive our email as there is no return mail.

I asked whether there is any clean SMTP server we can use, but support said that is the only one available. I can feel Godaddy support doesn't want to help on this. Does anyone know how this can be solved?

34 REPLIES 34
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Re: Godaddy mail relay has been blacklisted by several email blacklist

I did a quick check and the mail relay you note tracks back to an IP -- see link below -- is that your IP?   The URL you provided isn't blacklisted, the IP using it is.  So GoDaddy is correct in that it isn't their server per se -- it's the IP using that server.

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3aa2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net&run=...

The IP noted seems to have an issue with spam.  What you can do to get this resolved is to use the manual removal request links on the pages that display when you click on DETAILS button.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

New

Sorry that I am not quite understand what you meant of "The URL you provided isn't blacklisted". Anyway, thanks for confirming the IP address of Godaddy SMTP relay a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net is blacklisted. Are you suggesting me to contact the blacklist sites to remove the Godaddy SMTP relay from their blacklist?

What I found out is that we are using the SMTP server in our cpanel hosting server, emails will be relayed to a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net and then deliver to the recipients. If Godaddy cannot keep their SMTP relay clean from the blacklist sites, email might be rejected by some mail servers.

New

Alan,

GoDaddy's servers are not black listed. Saying that is like saying that the Federal Reserve is not allowed to print money. Is ridiculous.

Muse answer is not of any help to you because it is not a complete answer. He questions if the IP Address is yours when it actually does belong to GoDaddy. The reason it seems to be blocked/black listed is because it appears that you and at least 4 other people are using the wrong name to point to GoDaddy's mail server. (Server is not black listed. The use of a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net is because it is not a valid name.)

I had a similar problem when I set up my email on a different service. I used the same type of name format to address their server and I would get only about 6 out of 8 emails to work. Correct the name to SMTP.SECURESERVER.NET (caps are irrelevant, used for emphasis only) and I feel that your issues may be solved.

GoDaddy servers most certainly are blacklisted.  Maybe not all of them, but some are.  The smtp.secureserver.net and smtpout.secureserver.net servers are not on blacklist, but those are just the first step when I send e-mails.  From there it then goes through other e-mail servers like 173.201.193.234 which is on a blacklist.  See for yourself at

like http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a173.201.193.234&run=toolpage

This is causing huge headaches for me right now, and likely will have to find a different service provider.  Tried contacting GoDaddy about it, but they keep wanting to "look at my account" like that has anything to do with it.

Solution

Hi @Alan, sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with your email.

Support does take these issues very seriously and they are always working to remove email servers from various blacklists and prevent it from happening again.

However, Support does need specific information to be able to investigate individual issues. Without knowing what specific black or what caused the block or the blacklist, it's difficult for Support to investigate individual issues.

I recommend that you contact Support with a copy of the bounceback you received so they can further investigate your specific issues.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status
New

I contacted support few days ago and they asked me for the details of who cannot receive our email. I gave them a link to check the blacklist, told them the Godaddy SMTP relay is blacklisted and so some recipients' mail systems might reject the email without return mail. However, they claimed their hosting team need specific information of which mail server rejects the email and also the contact person in order for them to follow up.

I don't want to say any bad words on the support, but the fact is my issue is still unresolved.

New

Seems some of you don't understand how email works. From the test email which I sent from Godaddy SMTP server to Gmail, it shows the email was relayed by a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net and then deliver to gmail server. The Godaddy server is blacklisted and so email might be rejected by some servers.

Delivered-To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received: by 10.107.18.155 with SMTP id 27csp188os;
Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:34:46 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.176.5.130 with SMTP id ;
Return-Path: <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Received: from a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net (a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net. [198.71.225.38])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id
for <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 198.71.225.38 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of xxxxxxxxxxxx) client-ip=198.71.225.38;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=temperror (no key for signature) header.i=@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
spf=neutral (google.com: 198.71.225.38 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) smtp.mailfrom=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received: from a2plcpnl0333.prod.iad2.secureserver.net ([198.71.231.11]) by : HOSTING RELAY : with SMTP id ; Mon, 12 Dec 2016 19:33:45 -0700
Received: from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ([xxxxxxxxx]:49396 helo=[192.168.100.170]) by a2plcpnl0333.prod.iad2.secureserver.net with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256) (Exim 4.87) (envelope-from <xxxxxxxxxxxxx>) id 1cGcu-Gg for xxxxxxxxxx; Mon, 12 Dec 2016 19:33:45 -0700
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mime-Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:33:36 +1100
Subject: Test again
Message-Id: <462F88E8D>
To: "xxxxxxxxxxxxx
X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (14C92)
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - a2plcpnl0333.prod.iad2.secureserver.net
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - xxxxxxxxxxxxx
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: a2plcpnl0333.prod.iad2.secureserver.net: authenticated_id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
X-Authenticated-Sender: a2plcpnl0333.prod.iad2.secureserver.net: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
X-Source:
X-Source-Args:
X-Source-Dir:
Test again

New

I have this problem as well while sending emails to any variant of Hotmail.

Some, not all though, emails get bounced with the message "MTA a2nlsmtp01-04.prod.iad2.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 65.55.92.184 -  550 , 550 SC-001 (SNT004-MC4F55) Unfortunately, messages from 198.71.225.38 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list."

I had contacted GoDaddy Support, and they told me  that this was a known issue which occurs randomly. I got the feeling  this problem wasn't going to be solved any time soon.

A workaround is using a good third-party SMTP Relay Host whose anti-SPAM policies are so strict that these issues don't crop up too often for their IPs.

And again (or still) that IP shows as blacklisted

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a198.71.225.38&run=toolpage

Has anyone at Godaddy figured out what is going on with this?

Another thread for the same issue @ CPANEL Virtual Hosting Intermittent outgoing email being rejected.  We're dealing with the same problem.  Spent time with support by chat and phone a few times last week with no resolution, the ip's are still blacklisted.  SORBS database as an example actively logged spam incidents originating from these ip's as of Jan 28.  Is it a problem of mail service being abused on shared hosting, CAN-SPAM violations, or overly aggressive listing practices on the part of the blacklist maintainers?   Monitoring of usage and blacklisting status of these shared relay ip's isn't keeping up with the customers effectively and outbound mail flow is broken.

Blacklist                Reason TTL         ResponseTime 

LISTED  DNS Realtime Blackhole List        198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  218         81           Ignore

LISTED  ivmSIP 198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  2100       81           Ignore

LISTED  MAILSPIKE BL    198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  48           157         Ignore

LISTED  NoSolicitado       198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  1483       80           Ignore

LISTED  SORBS NEW        198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  3600       81           Ignore

LISTED  SORBS SPAM     198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  3600       82           Ignore

LISTED  SPAMCANNIBAL              198.71.224.24 was listed  Detail  43200    82           Ignore

Blacklist                Reason TTL         ResponseTime 

LISTED  ivmSIP 198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  2100       82           Ignore

LISTED  LASHBACK           198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  300         79           Ignore

LISTED  SORBS NEW        198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  3600       90           Ignore

LISTED  SORBS SPAM     198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  3600       81           Ignore

LISTED  SPAMCANNIBAL              198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  43200    81           Ignore

LISTED  ZapBL    198.71.225.38 was listed  Detail  2100       273         Ignore

Same issue here unfortunately. I've been a GoDaddy customer for a long time. I've never used their email service before but now their IP is blacklisted. On my recommendation they moved email, domain, and hosting to GoDaddy.

Good morning I am using mail.tester.com to check our spam score and I'm getting:

You're listed in 5 blacklists
Matches your server IP address (208.109.80.53) or p3plsmtpout003.prod.phx3.secureserver.net  (this is one of Godaddy relay smtp servers) against 21 of the most common ipv4 blacklists.
http://www.backscatterer.org/index.php
http://www.spamcannibal.org/
http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml
http://blacklist.lashback.com/
http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml

Can any body tell how to report this to Godaddy so they will repuest removing their IPs from their blacklist?

DKIM and IP listed as blacklist

Hello,

Please check and reply that my hosting IP: 160.153.129.204 listed as blacklist IP and also DKIM is not set for server. As per https://www.mail-tester.com I am getting 1/10 score.

Please check and fix this issue.

Thanks

I can't send an email to this one person....it ALWAYS comes back as undeliverable....is this the same thing as being "black listed"?  I just want to send a **bleep** email to my banker and no nothing about all of this. I did reach out to Go Daddy several months back and they were no help! 

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: ""] to bradburttschell@csbsealy.com. MTA p3plsmtpa11-08.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 216.82.242.44 -  553 , 553-SPF (Sender Policy Framework) domain authentication 553-fail. Refer to the Troubleshooting page at 553-http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more

553 information. (#5.7.1)

Do you think this is what is happening with mine?

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: ""] to bradburttschell@csbsealy.com. MTA p3plsmtpa11-08.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 216.82.242.44 -  553 , 553-SPF (Sender Policy Framework) domain authentication 553-fail. Refer to the Troubleshooting page at 553-http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more

553 information. (#5.7.1)

Several GoDaddy servers have been blacklisted. I know of two that are blacklisted by SORBS (www.sorbs.net), a less-well-known antispam organization.

SORBS has blacklisted the servers at 97.74.135.183 and 97.74.135.187. The result is that random emails are delayed in my case up to 5 days.

That is an ongoing problem for GoDaddy, and since fall 2016 has been a growing problem for me. I don't know why it has suddenly gotten worse, considering that, according to the SORBS web site, GoDaddy was blacklisted for something that happened in 2011.

However, the way this was handled by GoDaddy email support has been outrageous:

--They denied that email was delayed until I presented evidence using www.mxtoolbox.com, which provides analysis of headers

--After I spent hours collecting examples of delay and creating a spreadsheet, they said SORBS was blocking me (not GoDaddy) and only I could delist their servers. I was skeptical, considering that I don't own those servers, but I tried anyway. SORBS said I could not makes changes because they ar not my servers. That ate up a couple of hours.

--The next tech repeated the SORBS sob story (Would love to tell you more but GoDaddy keeps cutting of my posts at this point)

--The next tech repeated the SORBS sob story. Then added that SORBS demands money to delist. So, he said, GoDaddy doesn't deal with them. (Is any of this true?) I said an organization as large as GoDaddy has the legal resources to handle that.

So, after spending hours on the phone with GoDaddy techs, I have no answers I can trust and no solution to my problem. Very bad. I may have to move my domains, because this has to stop.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm a journalist who writes about the Internet. This will make a great story.

New

"Without knowing what specific black or what caused the block or the blacklist, it's difficult for Support to investigate individual issues."

This is, of course, not true. You guys can perform your own tests of your relay IP addresses and see that some of them show up in a few blacklists. You could then work to get them off the lists if you wanted to put any effort into it. We are still having these issues as well and after providing email details to the support person I called I received absolutely no feedback or help.

New

Just found out that my email relayed through GoDadday is blacklisted on sorbs ( Client host [72.167.218.32] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net) and just wanted to report that to GoDaddy thinking they could get the blacklist removed.  Chat was down - couldn't find a simple email way to report and stumbled upon this topic. After reading it, I can see the only good solution is to move away from Godaddy.  

Several years ago I had used another relay service.  I had to report that their server had been blocked only once, and they had it removed from the list in less than 12 hours after they were notified.

Thanks all that took time to post - at least I now know GoDaddy is not a solution.

Look, I'm not interested in defending Godaddy, but seriously guys, has anyone done any research into the SORBS blacklist?  They are the ones who are blacklisting the Godaddy IP addresses.  I can't find a single positive mention of SORBS on the internet.  They are slow or non-responsive, demand money for being taken off their blacklist, and worse.  Chances are, SORBS is NOT the cause of your email delivery problems because (reportedly) no serious receiving email servers consult them when filtering mail.  In short, SORBS is a non-player in the email delivery space.  If your mail testing tool is reporting a SORBS blacklist, then I would ask your mail testing tool to remove them from their testing tool.

Having said that, Godaddy certainly is at fault for not knowing this, and communicating it effectively to their customers.  Here, let me pretend I'm Godaddy for a minute:

"Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns about the SORBS blacklisting issue.  We are aware of the situation, and have already reached out to SORBS on multiple occasions to request they update their list.  Unfortunately, they have not been responding timely to our requests.

But the good news is that very few email servers are likely to use SORBS when filtering email, due to their poor reputation in the industry.  So this blacklisting is highly unlikely to affect your email delivery rates.

Unfortunately, many email delivery testing tools do still report SORBS blacklistling results.  We have also reached out to several of those testing tools with our recommendation that they remove SORBS from their test results so as to not confuse their customers.  We recommend you also make a similar requests to the support teams of those testing tools so that your email test results will be squeaky clean.

I hope that makes sense, and do let us know if you have any other questions!"

Now if only Godaddy could cut down on the number of DNS lookups their SPF domain secureserver.net uses, and implement DKIM...

I've been having the same issue with replies to my GoDaddy emailed messages. The reply bounces back to the sender, apparently because GoDaddy's MX server is blacklisted.

In my case, it's SpamCannibal:

Reason for listing - blocked, See: http://www.spamcannibal.org/cannibal.cgi?page=lookup&lookup=68.178.213.243

I'm going to raise the issue with Support, but based on these notes I'm not hopeful.

Helper I

I'm having the same issue. It happened a few weeks ago trying to email someone using yahoo, and now today one of my biggest client's servers rejected my email with the following:

554 Your mail system (p3plsmtpa11-01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net 68.178.252.102) has been BLACKLISTED. For more information please see http://www.senderbase.org/lookup?search_string=68.178.252.102

I looked up that IP address via the provided link and found a report on Talos that said this specific GoDaddy IP address is black listed.

I don't have time to contact support now, but I will report back what I find when I do have time. 

When I contacted them a month ago, support told me to change my password. Gee ... not helpful.

Helper I

I came across this thread while doing research on our own blocked IP ( shared hosting ). I wanted to add that a few years back I had this problem. In fact, it would occur maybe every 6 months, and getting GoDaddy to deal with it was a real hassle.

First they wouldn't look at any information unless it was in eml format. They blamed the recipients email server, and told me to contact them ( A fortune 500 company btw ). Showing their mail relay on multiple blacklists didn't seem to get me any traction. This was especially frustrating because a year before when their mail server I used was blacklisted, I just called support, gave them the info, and they had it fixed in 24 hours.

It took jumping through a bunch of hoops, and escalations before I got someone who said "oh yeah, looks like it is blacklisted, I'll get them to take care of it".

This fits a larger pattern of GoDaddy blaming everyone else possible before trying to fix the problem themselves ( They blamed outlook, they blamed the recipients server, they forced me to use their shtty web email service to "prove" the issue wasn't on my end, etc. ) 

I've been with GoDaddy for over 10 years - At least since 2003 or so. I've sent all kinds of clients here, and have 50+ domains with them. I no longer recommend them, I'm sad to say. I spend too much time with support - billing my clients at $100 p/h, they soon realize that paying a bit more upfront for hosting saves them money down the road. 

Another pet peeve... quit trying to upsell me. A GoDaddy IP is blacklisted, and the first thing they suggest is to pay for a dedicated IP. I've had them upsell clients pretty hard, and I resent it. ( Oh your website is slow because it uses "javascript" - you need to update to a new server .. I'll get you a 5 year rate discount! ) 

Helper I

edit- I was on hold while writing this - after about 30 minutes Support Said "ok, I sent the message along and someone will get it delisted".

So .. kudos GoDaddy! Let's see if it is delisted tomorrow.

I am having the same problems since moving my vps to GoDaddy. Almost all of the smtp relays seem to regularly get put on blacklists. My clients who use my server start sending me complaints and I can do nothing about it. Support tells me they know and are working on it! The latest e-mail rejected was by spamcop with the ip of the relay on the blocklist. I checked this and it says if no more offending messages are sent in the next hour it will be delisted but I won't hold my breath! Sadly, desipite the very good pricing I think I will have to move to a different company once the prepaid period is finished. This is too critical a problem to just live with.

I'm about to block Godaddy's servers because all my network received from the is SPAM,  I complained to no avail and receive yet for spam.  When Godaddy become more effective at removing spammers, then we will be less likely to block incoming email from Go Daddy's networks.

Hi @cyberscan, thanks for posting.

If you are receiving spam from GoDaddy networks or servers, please help stop it by reporting the spam using the form here:

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/AbuseReport/Index

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

simple email from my godaddy account sent to myself at my work email.

elivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* repairs@dixmor.com

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: "Emailing: MAC12DG.pdf"] to repairs@dixmor.com. MTA p3plsmtpa07-03.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 64.146.239.66 -  554 , 554 5.7.1 Rejected The email SERVER the SENDER of this message 173.201.192.232 has been REJECTED because it was listed in safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net BLACKLIST

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: "test"] to v.mammadzada@asan.gov.az. MTA p3plwbeout02-04.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 31.170.236.86 - 554 , 554 5.7.1 <p3plsmtp02-04-2.prod.phx3.secureserver.net[72.167.218.97]>: Client host rejected: "Client hostname blocked."
.????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: "test"] to v.mammadzada@asan.gov.az. MTA p3plwbeout02-04.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 31.170.236.86 - 554 , 554 5.7.1 <p3plsmtp02-04-2.prod.phx3.secureserver.net[72.167.218.97]>: Client host rejected: "Client hostname blocked."

please help me

Helper I

haha good luck

Helper I

please report back with your findings. I'm curious if they will blame it on the person you are trying to contact. Then refuse to deal with you until you provide them with .EML files.

I realize this post is super old, but I can tell you that GoDaddy's IP addresses can indeed be blacklisted. I just received an email notice from an organization's Barracuda system that the email I just sent someone in that organization was permanently rejected as the IP address from which the email originated was blacklisted. That IP address, 173.201.192.54, is indeed registered to GoDaddy. If you go to this URL, https://anti-hacker-alliance.com/index.php?ip=173.201.192.54, and scroll down, you can see that it is indeed on several blacklists. Why am I paying GoDaddy for a service that gets rejected? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @liveoaksol. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's true that GoDaddy (and really, every email provider) occasionally have to deal with IP addresses getting listed on blacklists. Blacklist entries like this are usually temporary and are caused by a system somewhere flagging messages that come from the IP as spam or malicious in some way. We do have a team at GoDaddy that is dedicated to managing our email environment and does what's needed when one of our IPs are listed. They also work to make sure listings don't happen. The best thing to do if you find that your email is sent from a blacklisted IP is to contact support to let them know. They should be able to review the issue with our advanced support team, which will result in the listing being forwarded to our email admins if they're not already aware of it. Please keep in mind that this is a community forum rather than a support form. Users here do not have access to internal GoDaddy systems and generally aren't able to assist with account internal GoDaddy issues.

As you've mentioned, this is a thread that is quite old. As such, it will be closed in favor of encouraging new discussion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.