cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Suggested SPF record for Workspace mail gives error: SPF Ambiguity Warning: DNS: Truncated UDP Reply

Hello, I am trying to find the correct SPF record for my mail hosted by GoDaddy.

From this post, I see that the suggested SPF record for Workspace Email is:

• v=spf1 mx include:secureserver.net -all

But, I get errors when I test this record with Kitterman's tools. Recordcheck on my domain, with the SPF record above, gives this:

• The result of the test (this should be the default result of your record) was, ambiguous . The explanation returned was, SPF Ambiguity Warning: DNS: Truncated UDP Reply, SPF records should fit in a UDP packet, retrying TCP

When I use Kitterman's tool simply to retrieve the SPF record for secureserver.net, it shows a similar error -

• DNS: Truncated UDP Reply, SPF records should fit in a UDP packet, retrying TCP

The tool also shows that secureserver.net contains 11 SPF mechanisms, including a nested include mechanism, which itself includes a lots of SPF mechanisms and a nested include, etc... which leads me to guess (disclaimer: I barely understand SPF) that the SPF record for secureserver.net is too big and that is what's causing this error.

Can anyone please explain what is causing the error? Do I need to use a different SPF record for my domain? Is there an issue with the secureserver.net SPF record? I am hesitant to configure this record when it fails the Kitterman test. I don't want my company's emails to be rejected for a day due to an incorrectly configured record.

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Suggested SPF record for Workspace mail gives error: SPF Ambiguity Warning: DNS: Truncated UDP R

Hi @mao. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! Since that post you referenced was done, we have updated our SPF records. You should be able to use this record if you use any of our email services:

v=spf1 include:secureserver.net –all

I'm not sure about the tool in question, but I know looking up secureserver.net on this tool should show everything is in order. Hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.