cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Guide for CSR on Windows 10

Hello,

When going though your tutorials on generating a CSR for Code Signing it dose not work. Your guide located at https://www.godaddy.com/help/windows-generate-csr-for-code-or-driver-signing-certificate-7282? says to use a template which is not an option on Windows 10 (At least when not in a corporate office setting that i can find).

The steps that I have used and work on Windows 10 (Pro) are as followed.

1. Open certmgr.msc
  2. Right click the “Personal” node.
  3. Navigate to All Tasks > Advanced Operations > Create Custom Request.
  4. Select “Proceed without enrollment policy” and click Next.
  5. Make sure the Request Format is PKCS #10 and select Next.
  6. Expand Details and select Properties.
  7. Under the General tab you need to give the certificate a descriptive friendly name.
  8. Under the Subject Tab you need to include a valid value for the following attributes:
    Common Name – The name of your business.
    Organization – The name of your business.
    Locality – The physical location your business resides.
    State – The territory where your business resides.
    Country – The primary country your business operates in.
  9. Under Extensions, make sure to add “digital signature” and “key encipherment” and “key certificate signing”.
  10. Under Extender Key usage (Application Policies) make sure to add Code Signing.
  11. Under “Private Key”, make your key size at least 2048. Select “Make your private key exportable”. Do NOT select “Strong private key protection”. Under Hash algorithm select “Sha256”. Click OK.
  12. Select next, and export your CSR in Base 64 format.

(Taken directly from https://www.ssltrust.com.au/help/setup-guides/code-signing-certificates )

It is the only direct guide that I have found that works Perfectly to Generate the CSR on Windows 10 Pro in my situation.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem I was having.

The009

1 REPLY 1
Employee

Hello @The009 and thank you for being a part of the Community!

I apologize for the delayed response. Thank you for sharing your flow on how to generate a CSR on Windows 10 Pro. This is especially helpful to end users who use Windows Pro 10. Again I apologize for the delayed response and thank you, I hope you enjoy the rest of your week 😁.

GoDaddy Support is available 24/7!