cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Enabling SMTP and O365

I have setup a new webpage using wordpress, I have added a contact us form but I am not getting any forms submitted to my email address. I have read that I need to enable SMTP so I am using WP Mail SMTP but when I enter my Office 365 details and test SMTP i get the below error.

My goal is to get my contact us page emailing to my O365 account. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Versions:
WordPress: 4.9.5
WordPress MS: No
PHP: 7.1.14
WP Mail SMTP: 1.2.5

Params:
Mailer: smtp
Constants: No
ErrorInfo: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
Host: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
SMTPSecure: tls
SMTPAutoTLS: bool(true)
SMTPAuth: bool(true)

Server:
OpenSSL: Yes
SMTP Debug:
2018-05-07 05:14:44 Connection: opening to smtp.office365.com:587, timeout=300, options=array ( ) 2018-05-07 05:14:48 Connection: Failed to connect to server. Error number 2. "Error notice: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to smtp.office365.com:587 (Connection refused) 2018-05-07 05:14:48 SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused (111) 2018-05-07 05:14:48 SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

10 REPLIES 10
Solution

Re: Enabling SMTP and O365

Hey @weinbd,

If you're sending the mail from your hosting plan, you won't be able to send the mail from the Office 365 relay server. Instead, you'll need to configure your plug-in to send through 'relay-hosting.secureserver.net' as the relay server. You'll also need to specify port 25 for outgoing mail. No additional login requirements to send through this server.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

This makes the emails sent via the website undeliverable since it's not validated, and no SPF record. All of the major ISPs are going to do dump it in SPAM, and have been doing that to php_mail() for more than 2 years now.

Surely GoDaddy isn't expecting people to live with this?

Hi @valerama 

I've been battling GoDaddy to make this work.

Did you end up finding a solution that works with Office365 SMTP + WordPress?

It would be very helpful to know!

New

Hello All...

I have the same problem, and get the same message when I send a test page, looked all over and only thing I have come across is to disable the "SMTP restrictions" which I have no idea how to do.  GoDaddy online chat has not been active either.  Anyone got any ideas, been stuck on this issue for the last week and is effecting my business.

Zac

This is crazy. I have bought a pretty high hosting package and prepaid for a few years. Good thing I just did this and just found out about this. I'll have to cancel my hosting account with GoDaddy over this.

This is crazy. As another person stated in the thread, if you force email to leave the server over unsigned PHP mail it's either going to get dumped / dropped at the ISP level or it will be useless because it will fall into spam folders. 

Not to mention but GDPR and the stuff the US Government is working on all require email to be encrypted. Sending customer emails / account info over clear text email is so freaking 1995. I literally can't comply with GDPR and my OWN privacy policy because of this. LOLOL.

New

I had problems using the WP smtp plugin. I disabled it and installed Easy WP SMTP plugin works with the following setting:

smtp: smtp.office365.com

encryption: starttls

port: 587

with necessary authentication.

I know this was months ago, but HOW do I "configure your plug-in to send through 'relay-hosting.secureserver.net' as the relay server"? I have a WP site, I'm using Contact Form to Email and have tired both Easy WP SMTP and WP Mail SMTP and still can't figure out how to get messages delivered to my O365 email account. 

Thanks for any help! 

New

How do you this? Any clear steps?

Instead, you'll need to configure your plug-in to send through 'relay-hosting.secureserver.net' as the relay server. You'll also need to specify port 25 for outgoing mail. No additional login requirements to send through this server.

Just got off the phone with GoDaddy support.

GoDaddy DO NOT ALLOW sending emails via SMTP.

worst service ever!!

they sale SMTP and WP but dont allow usage!!!

what a joke!

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @CLevelPartner. Thanks for posting. Allow me to clarify. SMTP is a protocol for sending emails. We do use this protocol. However, depending on how you're trying to send, some services are restricted.

If you're trying to send email via a shared hosting plan (Web Hosting, cPanel, Plesk), you would only be able to do so via relay-hosting.secureserver.net. You can not send through other servers via a hosted script. This includes trying to use the SMTP servers for Workspace Email or Office 365.

You can, of course, use the SMTP services for Workspace Email or Office 365 for any messages you need to send out from the addresses you have set up in that environment. You just wouldn't be able to use them to send messages out of your hosting plan. That's what relay-hosting.secureserver.net is for. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.