Additional resource usage causes (resource overusage)
Besides the common causes for resource usage, there are some additional possibilities that can contribute to overusing hosting resources.
Is this an issue for me?
Here are some common additional symptoms and causes of resource overusage:
- Poor scripting and/or site optimization
- Poor code quality in third-party applications, add-ons, and plugins
- Websites or applications that have been compromised
- Cron tasks or other automation that runs resource-intensive commands
How can I correct this issue?
You can try to correct excessive resource usage by following any and all of these steps:
- Review code and error logs for possible loops, errors, or other bugs.
- Keep all web applications, add-ons, and plugins up to date at all times.
- Ensure that you are following good site optimization practices.
- Review any cron tasks that can use additional resources.
- Review all hosted content for possible compromise.
- Implement additional security measures on your site
, such as Website Security.
- Migrate to a VPS or dedicated server.
If you are still experiencing issues with resource usage, review your hosting for other possible causes at Common causes for resource overusage (Linux).
You will want to make sure that you are correcting the underlying cause to any resource issue. Simply removing sites and/or files without correcting the underlying issue can cause the problem to recur.