Changing Cisco PIX 501 Hardware Firewall Passwords
Some of the information in this article is advanced material we make available as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are responsible for properly following the procedures below. Customer Support cannot assist with these topics.
Both the Enable and Telnet passwords for the Cisco PIX 501 can be reset through the Cisco Device Manager.
To Change Cisco PIX 501 Hardware Firewall Passwords
- In a Web browser, navigate to: https://[your firewall management IP address]/
- You may receive a number of security certificate warnings. If you accept the certs and save them as "Trusted," you will avoid warnings in the future.
- Enter your User name and Password, and then click OK.
Note: Your browser must have Java enabled and allow pop-ups from your firewall management IP.
- In the Device Manager toolbar, click the Configuration icon.
- Click the System Properties tab.
- In the Categories tree on the left, expand the Administration folder and select Password. Both the Enable and Telnet passwords can be reset in this window .
- In the appropriate panel, enter the old password, the new password, and the new password again, in the corresponding fields. The new passwords must be an exact match.
- Click Apply.
Note: Clicking Reset discards any changes and causes the panel to revert to the last saved information.