Edit an SPF record
An SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record is a type of TXT record in your DNS zone file. SPF records help identify which mail servers are permitted to send email on behalf of your domain. SPF records can help detect and prevent email spoofing and you can edit existing SPF records at any time.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select the checkboxes next to the DNS records you need to edit and then select Edit.
- To edit a single DNS record, select Edit next to the specific record you'll be editing.
- Edit the details for your SPF record:
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as mail.
- Value: The SPF rule to be applied, such as v=spf1 mx -all to indicate emails are only allowed from your mail server. The Value must follow these guidelines:
Note: SPF records can be formatted in many ways, and we're unable to provide specific guidance on what to enter for the Value. Take a look at our guide to SPF records for GoDaddy email servics and some more info about SPF record syntax.
- Maximum 512 characters are allowed
- Only ASCII characters are allowed
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- (Optional) Select Add More Records to add multiple DNS records at the same time. If you change your mind, select Delete to remove any records that haven't been saved yet.
- Select Save to confirm your edits. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Check out more info about SPF record syntax and how SPF records can be used to help prevent email spoofing.
- Edit your SPF records at any time.
- Get started with professional email and stay connected to your community.
- Create a DNS template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.