Migrate a cPanel account to my server using cPanel and WHM
Here's how to migrate a full backup of a single cPanel account (home directory, databases, and mail) to a Managed VPS/Dedicated server using cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM).
Note: If you need to migrate multiple cPanel accounts to your server, we recommend using the WHM Transfer Tool. To use the Transfer Tool you need SSH and root (su or sudo) access.
There are two main steps, which we'll explain in more detail below:
- First we'll create a backup file from the source cPanel account and download it to your PC.
- Then we'll use WHM to import the backup file to your server.
Create and download the backup file
- Log into the cPanel account you want to migrate and go to the cPanel home page.
If your account is with us, go to your GoDaddy product page, and under Web Hosting, next to the Linux Hosting account you want to use, select Manage. Then in the account Dashboard, select cPanel Admin.
- In the cPanel Home page, in the Files section, select Backup.
- In the Backup page, below Full Backup, select Download a Full Account Backup.
- Below Generate a Full Backup, select Do not send email notification of backup completion, and then select Generate Backup. cPanel starts creating the backup file.
- Select Go Back, and below Backups Available for Download, select the file with the most recent date (the file you just created) to download it to your PC.
Note: If the most recent backup file is "[inprogress]", refresh the screen. cPanel might take some time creating the backup file if you have a large site.
Upload the backup and finish migrating the site
- Open WebHost Manager (WHM). Log in with your server password, but use root as your username.
- In the Search box on the WHM home page, type "cpmove".
- Select Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File, and below Settings, select Restore with File.
- Below File to Restore With, select Choose File, browse to the backup file you downloaded earlier, and double-click the file.
- Select Restore. WHM uploads the backup file to the server and finishes migrating the site.