Migrate a website from Linux Hosting to my VPS or Dedicated Server
Here's how to migrate a full backup (home directory, databases, and mail) from a Linux Hosting account to a Managed VPS/Dedicated server using cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM). There are two main steps, which we'll explain in more detail below:
- First we'll create a backup file from the source cPanel account and download it to your PC.
- Then we'll use WHM to import the backup file to your server.
Create and download the backup file
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Under Web Hosting, next to the Linux Hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- In the account Dashboard, click cPanel Admin.
- In the cPanel Home page, in the Files section, click Backup.
- In the Backup page, below Full Backup, click Download a Full Account Backup.
- Below Generate a Full Backup, select Do not send email notification of backup completion, and then click Generate Backup. cPanel starts creating the backup file.
- Click Go Back, and below Backups Available for Download, click the file with the most recent date (the file you just created) to download it to your PC.
Note: If the most recent backup file is "[inprogress]", refresh the screen. cPanel might take some time creating the backup file if you have a large site.
Upload the backup and finish migrating the site
- Open WebHost Manager (WHM). Log in with your server password, but use root as your username.
- In the Search box on the WHM home page, type "cpmove".
- Select Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File, and below Settings, select Restore with File.
- Below File to Restore With, click Choose File, browse to the backup file you downloaded earlier, and double-click the file.
- Click Restore. WHM uploads the backup file to the server and finishes migrating the site.
- Instead of following these steps, you can try using the WHM Transfer Tool to migrate your website.
- Setting up Nameserver DNS Using cPanel/WebHost Manager
- Connect to my Web Hosting account with SSH (Secure Shell)