Why doesn't my EV SSL certificate display correctly in a browser?
Your website may have the combination of SiteLock Deluxe and an SSL certificate. This combination encrypts visitor information, and filters out malware and attacks by routing traffic through SiteLock's Web Application Firewall (WAF).
However, because of the WAF, your site won't display the EV "green bar" even if you have a Premium EV SSL.
Although the encryption is the same, and the site security is fully functional, some visitors to your site may be uncomfortable with the discrepancy. To correctly show the green bar in the browser, follow these steps to import your SSL .crt and .key files into the SiteLock Dashboard.
Note: Not all Hosting platforms allow you to view the SSL .crt or .key files. If the SSL was installed with the auto-installer at certs.GoDaddy.com, SSLs may only be exported from shared cPanel and Plesk platforms. This procedure is not supported by other shared hosting platforms, such as 4GH or Managed WordPress.
- In cPanel, go to Security > SSL/TLS.
- Click Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates.
- Find the SSL and click Edit.
- Copy the entire contents of the SSL into Notepad, and save it as a file with the extension .crt.
- Click Generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys.
- Locate the Private Key and click Edit.
- Copy the entire contents of the Private Key into Notepad, and save it as a file with the extension .key.
- [Go back to the SiteLock dashboard.]
- Click Settings and then click Trueshield Settings.
- Click Upload Certificate.
- Browse to the .crt and .key files and select them.
- Click Submit.
Note: Why does this happen? When SiteLock Deluxe is added to a website with an SSL, SiteLock assigns a “Network” SSL to the website after the DNS is routed through the WAF. Since your GoDaddy-issued SSL isn’t installed on the WAF server that the DNS points to, inspecting the Network SSL in a browser shows that it was issued by SiteLock’s provider GlobalSign instead of GoDaddy. Because the Network SSL isn’t EV, your site won't display the EV "green bar" even if you have a Premium EV SSL. Importing the .crt and .key files into the SiteLock Dashboard solves this issue.